Matthew Del Gaudio, 1908
Matthew Del Gaudio, 1908, designed churches, apartments, and public buildings in New York City. He was a founding member and third president of the New York State Association of Architects and a Fellow and director of the American Institute of Architects. Del Gaudio also served as chairman of the Joint Committee of Architectural Societies of the Metropolitan Area. He was a major in the Army Reserves and a veteran of World War I and II.
He then worked as a draftsman at the firm, Moore & Lanseidel from 1905 to 1909 which coincided with the years that he attended The Cooper Union. He graduated from The Cooper Union in 1908. He later attended Columbia University and then opened his private practice at 545 Fifth Avenue.
One of the churches designed by Matthew Del Gaudio was Our Lady of Pompeii which was located on the corner of Bleecker and Carmine Streets in New York City. He designed St. Anthony’s School in the Bronx, the Pierre Apartments in Brooklyn, the Shore Road Theater, and Dyker Theater in Brooklyn.
- Bronx Co. Trust Company at 233 Street in White Plaines
- N.Y.C. & Mainzer Factory in Long Island City
- Patterson Houses in The Bronx
- Bronx Co. Trust Company at Broadway and 231st St. in New York City
- Our Lady of Pompeii Church and School located on the corner of Bleecker and Carmine Streets in New York City
- Gravesend Houses in Coney Island
Supervising Architect for:
- East River Houses in New York City
- Vladeck Houses in New York City
- Jamaica Houses in New York City
Construction Architect for:
- Parkchester in New York City
- Stuyvesant Town in New York City
- Peter Cooper Village in New York City
- Riverton Houses in New York City
Link to Off The Grid article with pictures of buildings designed by Matthew
Link to Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation article with pictures of buildings designed by Matthew
He was a member of the New York Society of Architects from 1930-37, serving as President for the last two years. He was Director of the AIA NY Chapter from 1941 to 1945, and President of the New York State Association of Architects from 1945 to 47.
He passed away on Sept. 17, 1960. In 1971 the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects established the Matthew W. Del Gaudio Service Award to recognize significant achievements towards the promotion of architecture as a profession and leadership in the New York State AIA.
Matthew Del Gaudio received The Cooper Union 1956 President’s Citation and the 1958 Gano Dunn Award. He was admitted into The Cooper Union Hall of Fame in 2009.
NY Times Obituary, M. W. Del Gaudio, Architect Dies. 9/18/1960.
American Architect’s Directory First Edition 1956, RR Bowker LLC, December 1955, p. 125.